Mass Transit System – The necessity of today at Bhuj
A PROJECT REPORT
On Project 1
• Aghera Raj. (140850106003)
• Ahir Mahesh. (140850106004)
• Amaam Ahmed A Sidi. (140850106005)
• Divyraj Keniya. (140850106016)
• Goswami Santosh D. (140850106022)
Team ID.:- 2851
In fulfillment for the award of the degree
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING
HJD INSTITUTE OF TECH. EDUCATION AND RESEARCH, KERA-KUTCH
Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad
April , 2018
HJD INST. OF TECH. EDUCATION AND RESEARCH, KERA-KUTCH
This is to certify that the dissertation entitled “Mass Transit System – The necessity of today at Bhuj “has been carried out by Aghera Raj, Amaan Ahmed A Sidi, Ahir Mahesh, Divyraj Keniya, Goswami Santosh D my guidance in fulfillment of the degree of Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering (8th Semester) of Gujarat Technological University during the academic year 2018.
Under the guidance of:
Mr. Bhavin Bhagat
Civil Eng. Department,
HJD ITER, Kera-Kutch.
Mr. N. D. VADHER
Head of Civil Eng.
HJD ITER, Kera-Kutch.
We are grateful to our Principal, Prof. N. D. Vadher -HOD of civil department, Asst. Prof. Bhavin Bhagat, HJD Institute of Technical Education & Research-Kera, under whose guidance & aegis we were provided an environment conducive to complete our Project work because it gave us an opportunity to study in detail on subjects like Transportation. The project study was very helpful and really helped us to gain the knowledge about mass transit system.
And last not the least we would like to express our deep sense of gratitude to all the faculties of HJD Institute of Technical Education & Research and our fellow mates whose helping hand was always there. It was a leading factor in completion of this report.
We sincerely hope that this report, with its content, will prove to be appropriate. Any suggestions for improvements are welcome.
Aghera Raj. (140850106003)
Ahir Mahesh. (140850106004)
Amaam Ahmed A Sidi. (140850106005)
Divyraj Keniya. (140850106016)
Goswami Santosh D. (140850106022)
Table of Contents
• PMMS completion certificate
• Plagiarism report
1. Introduction & Brief study
2. Literature review
3. Aim and objectives of the work
4. Study Methodologies
Chapter: 1 Introduction
Main role of transportation system in the branch of civil engineering is to deal with the movement of people and goods from origin to destination. Mass transit system can be defined as the system that can commute a large number of passengers from origin to passenger in a lesser time. It also can be termed as public shared transportation. This transportation facility provides people with mobility and access to employment and medical care and also provides recreational opportunities to the communities. It is beneficial those who choose to ride as well as those who have no other choice.
Brief study about project:
• In this type of service of mass transit system, passengers travel on the fixed routes following the fixed schedule of the movement and fares. This is normally provided by buses and railways. As our project location is in Bhuj, buses are being used on larger scale for travel in local areas. The location of Bhuj city bus station is in middle of the city. At the first glance, this place seems to be crowdy most of the time.
• Mainly it is used by students, employees and senior citizens.
• Bhuj city bus authority has 14 buses. Among them 8 buses are being used and remaining others are at spare.
• Each bus travels 13 times in a particular area per day, at a time it can carry minimum 30 passengers in a single bus.
Chapter: 2 Literature review
1. Mass transit system
– Author: Roy j Larson
– Summary: This literature refers to the field of transportation and more particularly to the field of a mass transit system for the conveyance of people and materials. Every metropolitan area of any big or small size is suffering from inadequate transportation facilities and generally has been gone over very down to the scale. For that an alternate form of transportation is needed that will also move people and goods and commodities cheaply, conveniently, safely, and rapidly from any areas to an any metropolitan area and from any location in the metropolitan area to any other location within that area.
2. MASS TRANSIT CONTROLLING AND MONITOURING SYSTEM:
– Author: Antonio Carlos and Tambasco Olandesi
– Summary: The main aim of this literature is to monitoring the passenger vehicles or mass transit vehicle and their pathways.it will also help to control the whole system and also for informing passenger about the arrival of bus. This system is mainly for road vehicles indicating the position of vehicles, e.g. scheduled vehicles; managing passenger vehicles circulating according to a fixed timetable, e.g. buses, trains, etc. And also this system is most often used for monitoring, controlling, locating and coordinating the movement of mass transit vehicle.
3. Transit planning system
– Authors: Roland j Kane, David Krueger, Chad Reed, Gareth Stripe, Richard Stanke
– Publishing year: 6 Dec, 2001
– Summary: The literature refers to the offline transit system and online transit system .An offline transit system is concurred with online transit system for more efficient use of transportation vehicle to give the proper and perfect positioning of the vehicles. Thus the planning for this is involved in the literature. Probably it is not necessary that all the buses would follow the routes that passenger sees for e.g. if one bus has completed the trip it can be allowed for the other route at any other timing.
An offline transit planning means allotment of driver, scheduling the buses thus it was offline transit system. Now online transit system includes the method of GPS (Global Positioning System) this device is mainly used for locating the buses and also MONITOURING the buses. Thus literature give an perfect method for controlling the buses at different routes by very easy methods no doubt there will be disadvantages for online transit system like bad weather but for that offline will work properly.
4. Public transit vehicle arrival information system
– Publishing year: 21/12/1999
– Authors: Kenneth J Schimer and Paul Freda
– Summary: This literature involves the method for notifying the passengers when any transit vehicle like bus or train arrives to it specifics stops. And also includes the status of the vehicle like arriving Early or it can be late .The system includes global position determining devices located in the vehicles for determining the location of the vehicles along their routes. Central processor or computer is coupled to the global position determining devices for receiving the locations of vehicles therefrom.
5. Mass transit system
– Publishing year: 25/8/1998
– Author: Zhengzohng li
– Summary: A mass transit system provides an on-demand transportation system including private vehicles to provide point to point non-stop transport from a first passenger station to a second station within an area serviced by the system. Passengers have mode of choice that which type of vehicle are suitable to them so they can manage easily and also considering the minimum cost for the routes chosen by them .Simply they can get it by their own mobiles by just appointing the vehicle.
Chapter: 3 Aim and objectives of the work
• Main aim of the project is to analyze problems regarding city bus transit system of Bhuj. So city bus can be more efficient and convenient all the time and specially in peak hours.
• Other goals are as below:
– Provide maximum personal mobility.
– Improve the urban environment.
– Improve economic efficiency of transportation.
– Improve traffic safety.
• This facility provides safe, reliable and affordable public transport to all citizens, particularly to urban poor, the aged and the children.
• Improve facilities for cyclists and pedestrians.
• Air pollution and noise pollution will be reduced.
• Increment in the capacity of existing facilities for passengers will ultimately results in improvement of economic efficiency.
• By considering traffic safety regulations, the rate of accidents and rates of injuries and deaths will be decreased.
• By using this kind of mass transportation system fuel consumption of the overall entire area will reduce.
Chapter: 4 Study Methodologies
• Questionnaire method: This method is about questioning people about the mass transit system and its facilities and they also give their personal feedback in the form of response or a suggestion. This is also termed as personal interview method. This is best suitable and more likely practical method for our project. Our project is totally depending on the passengers’ demands and maintaining the requirements. So by interviewing them and asking the questions they may share their views with us and so that we can identify their needs and be helpful to improve overall mass transit system. Mainly we generate the all outcomes by simply questioning and at last we get ideas that what kind of invention can be made to provide the passengers flexibility to use and also reliable to use.
• Sample data gathering method: This method involves a form which is distributed to the public to share their views and feedback but only on paper by rating the service provided to them. We have prepare the forms in which we have involved the question like –
RATE IT BY NUMBERS 1 TO 10-
1 Quality of bus ___
2 Seat arrangement___
4 Scheduling and timings___
5 Any improvement: YES/NO
6 If yes, then tell us your opinion___
• This was the format of form. We will distribute it and collect the data from which we will get to know the satisfactions of the people with the bus station.
Classified volume count (CVC) :
This survey is carried out to understand the variety of vehicles that passes through a road over the peak hours. The purpose of conducting this survey is to get average daily traffic at peak hours.
• To appreciate traffic characteristic in terms of size, composition and variation.
• To appreciate spatial distribution of traffic.
• To establish the level of service on the road network system.
? Manual method
? Video-photography method
? Automatic devices like sensors
We have make teams of 5 people for the data collection. And the whole is distributed in order vise 1st person note down the two wheelers passing over the road 2nd person note down the three wheeler 3 person note down the four wheeler 4 one notes the buses and 5 one notes the truck and all the data is notedownn tabulation form and the traffic per day or per hours is calculated
Para transit study:
? Mainly this study involves the number of stops , passenger boarding and drop off, fare . It is a informal means of transit . it also aims to provide greater choice and improved services to passenger. It will also help to know the demand and supply relation.
I. To appreciate role and function.
II. To appreciate the system characteristic.
III. To appreciate the users.
Data collection for para transit study:
we have made two team to collect the data
First team will collect the data about the start time and fare . Second team will collect the data about the passenger boarding and drop off. The survey is conducted inside the bus and the route for which we have done the survey is BHUJ city bus stand to pramukhswami nagar via jubilee ground.
Travel time and delay studies:
? From this study we can calculate the total time and delay time taken by bus to travel from origin to destination . And the delay reason is also noted down.
? The main objectives of this study are –
1. To identify the journey time and it Is helpful to calculate the speed also
2. To quantity delays and identify factor causing delay
? Expected outputs is travel time , delay causing factors.
For this survey the data collection is done simply by manual method and the instrument needed for this survey is 2 stop watch . 1 for journey time and 2 for delay time .
When delay time is noted on the table the reason for the delay should also be mentioned.
Chapter: 5 Practical Work
Chapter: 6 Results
• After doing the survey we have come to an end that there
Are some shortage of buses.
• we can conclude about the travel time and delay studies at that area with this we
Also come to know about the speed of vehicle.
• Number of passenger boarding on and drop off.
• We came to know about the cost structure.
We have conducted questionnaire method and sample data gathering method; we got some suggestions and feedback of current situation of city bus facilities. So from the data we have collected, we have noted the problems and requirement of the passengers. The main purpose for conducting questionnaire data method is to get know the needs and requirements of the passengers for travel. The main purpose for conducting sample data gathering method is to get feedback and suggestions of the passengers regarding the city bus facilities.
1 City bus station and buses are dirty and unmaintained.
2 In some areas in Bhuj, City bus facility is not available even though authority has spare buses. So some passengers have to travel to city bus station first and then they can get a bus for the destination.
3 Every bus has only 30 seats. It is caused trouble in peak hours.
4 In peak hours, tremendous rush caused at some place and because of that people can’t even get space to stand.
5 In monsoon season, there’s always been an issue of water logging in city bus station. Because of that, buses cannot be able to reach the destination and sometimes it cannot be able to reach the next stop on time.
6 Sometimes control room staff members response very rudely to the passengers.
7 There are no enough running buses on different routes to pick passengers.
• Roy J Larson “Mass transit system” (6 January, 1999) – https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Roy+j+larson
• •Antonio Carlos, Tambasco Olandesi “Mass Transit Controlling and Monitoring System” (18 April, 1998) – https://patents.google.com/patent/US5739774A/en?inventor=Antonio+carlos
• •Roland j Kane, David Krueger, Chad Reed, Gareth Stripe, Richard Stanke “Transit planning system” (6 December, 2001) – https://patents.google.com/patent/US6654682B2/en?q=Transit;q=planing;q=system
• •Kenneth J Schimer, Paul Freda “Public transit vehicle arrival information system” (21 December, 1999) – https://patents.google.com/patent/US6006159A/en?q=Public+transit;q=vehicle;q=arrival;q=information;q=system